A Splash of Red by Jen Bryant is the fascinating tale of renowned African American artist Horace Pippin. This module invites students to explore color, particularly red, which was Horace’s signature color. Students will use their imaginations as they read a wordless picture book and apply critical thinking skills as they step into Pippin’s famous painting, “Domino Players”, and learn the game of dominoes. This module investigates ways to face obstacles and persevere in spite of adversity.
The lessons in every Artful Reading module are designed to engage students in meaningful learning experiences, enhance reading comprehension, and promote a love for reading.
Before you begin...
Each Artful Reading Module is flexibly designed for a 2-3 week duration.
Lessons are marked for Before-, During-, or After-Reading to guide your
planning. We have added a sample of a During Reading lesson entitled A Splash of Red for you to preview. Each lesson is designed in an easy to read format, with standards, materials needed, and step-by-step directions to ensure you are fully prepared when it’s time to deliver.
This module contains the following lessons:
- Seeing Red
- A Magical Red Book
- Do You See the Red?
- A Splash of Red
- Sounds Like...
- A Sample of Paint
- Capturing Color
At the end of the module, you will find options for summative writing tasks and optional extensions that can stretch the module further.
The standards-based lessons in A Splash of Red help address the call for students to:
- ask and answer questions about key details in a text
- describe how characters in a story respond to major events & challenges
- describe how words and phrases supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song
- use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot
- compare & contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic
- read and comprehend literary and informational texts
- write opinion/informative/narrative pieces
- participate in collaborative conversations
- recount or describe key ideas or details from a text
- tell a story or recount an experience
For your reference, we have also added images of the literacy standards matrix for this module.
Splash, Visualize, Swatch, Dominant, Onomatopoeia, Unit, Length, Width, Chronological Order, Timeline
Note: This module is part of 2nd Grade: Series 2. The four modules in Series 2 collectively address all National ELA and Core Arts Standards.