Why Artful Reading?
The Artful Reading program is an innovative approach to blending National Literacy standards and National Core Arts standards to deepen student learning. Each kit contains a picture book, supplemental texts, art materials, and lesson plans to deliver the contents of the module. This field-tested curriculum model supports enhanced literacy and arts instruction. The model is designed to support students in Kindergarten through Fifth Grade in developing comprehensive reading skills. Each module taps into the classroom teacher’s prior knowledge about literacy instruction and arts integration. The materials are built around a structure for before-, during-, and after-reading that addresses key literacy developmental skills using arts-based strategies and contexts to deeply engage students in learning. The materials immerse students and teachers in learning in, through and about the arts.
Lesson plans for each module contain comprehensive literacy components, including:
- Summative and Formative Assessments
- Tiered Vocabulary Development
- Reading Comprehension: before, during, after reading activities
- Academic Dialogue
- Writing to Learn
- Writing to Demonstrate Learning: Informational, Narrative, and Persuasive Writing Prompts
- Gradual Release Process
- Extension Activities to Differentiate & Scaffold Learning, and to make connections to core text themes
- Tested Teacher Tips
We hope that you and your students find value in our arts-integrated approach to literacy instruction!